Saturday, May 06, 2006

To procrastinate further on my work, I thought I'd go ahead and make a thank you call to the aunt who sent me a gift card for my birthday. I used the number my mom gave me, the person on the other end was all, "Kristi!" like they knew who I was, but something was...odd. "This kinda sounds like the other aunt," I thought. Well, I know me my aunt voices, because oh my. So, I thanked her for a gift card, got awkward silence, then a reference to some house that this other aunt had owned, and wow, oh you guys, so embarrassing. She was really warm and nice, talking with me about New York a lot, because that news has made the family rounds, but ohhhh man. So then I called my mom, all "YOU MADE ME CALL THE WRONG AUNT. DO YOU NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. HINT: ONE SENT ME A GIFT AND ONE DIDN'T. ONE HAS ONE NAME; THE OTHER HAS ANOTHER. OH MY GOD, MOTHER. ARGH. ARGH TO THE NTH."
So what happened was, in my mom's new cell phone she had the number of the aunt I called under "D M"--D for her first name, M for her husband's first name. COINCIDENTALLY, these are the exact initials of the other sister and her husband. Oh my god, mother.

This might set me back about 7 steps in my phone phobia program, pretending I have one.

Moral: Do your homework. Don't look up. No stopping. To do otherwise leads to terrible things.

3 Comments:

At 5/07/2006 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your phone phobia. I can't stand to talk to strangers or even aquaintances on the phone. I prefer the immediacy of person-to-person contact or (barring that) the comfort of email to plan out EXACTLY what I want to say.

scott + verbal communication = painful

seriously.

 
At 5/07/2006 10:12 PM, Blogger jack said...

i think i have to agree with scott. especially when using the phone at work, i have to sit there thinking about what to say/ask before dialing. then if i get an unexpected voice mail greeting i hang up, think about how i should phrase my message then do it again, hoping i get the greeting again because if it was the actual person i'd be totally thrown off. not to mention that last run-on sentence is so much more totally easier to do in writing than to say. for me at least. i think. i'd run out of breath maybe.

 
At 5/08/2006 6:47 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

yeah, phones are scary. all the best people know so. for me, it's something to do with how your voice is all that's out there....it makes me automatically sound like a freak.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home