Friday, September 02, 2005

School had half a day.

I am sore and tired now, who knows why, but boy I tell you a quesadilla with some sharp cheddar and salsa, and a side of french vanilla yogurt, my that's a nice comfort.

Most of this week I haven't intensely followed the Katrina news, because, you know, you get that feeling some times, of complete helplessness, and thankfulness that it is not now immediately your own problem. And can't I hope things work out but not really think about it? Bad, yeah, but there you go. Anyway, this afternoon I've been reading a lot of the ol' politics blogs, some new york times (eh) and even listening to air america radio. You know something disturbing's going on when you're listening to air america radio, is what I tell myself. No, they're ok I guess. Anyway, here's a couple things I recommend as far as reading about it, though there are tons of articles just as good out there I'm sure.

The more interesting things we talk about in my classes are poverty, disability, ethnicity, how it all works together in society, in the fucking status quo, and what effect a teacher can have with regard to all that. I used to be a much more apathetic person--I can still feel echoes of it, when thinking about the hurricane, when thinking about goddamn poverty--just the overwhelmed feeling that nothing I do will really matter. I do think it's true that nothing stays, everything passes, but there's still some use, some reason, in trying for good things anyway while I can.

The thing I might like most about teaching is feeling that by choosing that profession, I am
I don't know
saying to my old apathy, "fuck that"--
I'm pretty definitively off the apolitical sidelines. Whatever use it will be, it feels like the better choice.

4 Comments:

At 9/02/2005 2:22 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

also here: http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/nagin.transcript/index.html

 
At 9/02/2005 2:37 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

link to mp3 of that interview on this page: http://www.airamericaradio.com/node

 
At 9/02/2005 6:49 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/050718/18neworleans.htm

http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/o/nov04/nov04c.html

 
At 9/03/2005 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I ws just looking at some of the Image Galleries on the NY Times homepage. Interesting how all of the pictures with President Bush and about his tour are from Mobile, Alabama and show white survivors and evacuees, when EVERY other picture that I have seen in the lsat 6 days has been primarily African-American people in Louisiana and Mississippi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home