Thursday, September 01, 2005

I socialized this evening, after school, for about a couple hours, at a bar. Not like a good bar, but yeah, way to go socially anxious agoraphobe.
I only had one pint
granted, no food
but when I walked back to my car on campus (not far) wearing my bad shoes
it was a little uncomfortable
but, you see, here's the thing: not painful
so when I looked down to see blood soaked partially through my pants legs

yeah.

I was walking from a bar to my car not feeling the pain of bleeding wounds.

I am not a complete degenerate, I swear. And I wasn't actually drunk, at all, by the time I got to my car. Maybe my heels are nerveless.

Some of you know I visited my school site today, where I will be mostly teaching. And however my professor protested last week when I hinted it might not be diverse enough for someone wanting to work later in an inner city school, uh uh. Totally whitey school. A tad poor. But totally conservative whitey.
AND
a fellow student in my program at that site said her teacher told her there's a time for students to go to Bible class, if they want. Like every week.
Bible class. "Right across the field" or something.
How is this even possible in a public school?

But it doesn't look like I can change schools, so I'll try to make the most of what I get. None of the schools around here participating in our school's student teaching are very diverse, I don't think. But I can, uh, always work the poverty angle, and I'm doing a mentor thing in one class at a more diverse alternative school for the ruffian kids of Salem.
This is totally boring. Sascha at least will be interested, if she ever reads this blog.

6 Comments:

At 9/01/2005 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9/01/2005 8:25 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

wow. i clicked on the post linked, and the comments

two are spam

and wow.

people sure suck sometimes.

 
At 9/01/2005 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in regards to the Bible-study during school time: yeah, it's really sketchy (at least in my opinion). There have been recent court challenges to these practices, but they continue. It seems that by not having the class in the school building (nevermind during regular instruction time, or even in a portable building nearby, or in a bus or mobile-home)the courts have determined that it isn't a State-endorsement of religion. Most of these programs seem to occur in areas that are (spiritually?) fairly homogeneous, such that the majority don't see these classes as exculsionary. The kids who don't go (or aren't allowed to by their parents)get to read at their desks or do other homework while their classmates sing-songs, color, and have snacks. If I was a kid, I'd definately see it as a punishment/reward system. Hell, it's almost like a stranger luring a child into the back of van with promises of candy and eteneral life in heaven. That's pretty fucked up if you ask me.

-s

 
At 9/01/2005 8:33 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

yeah, the girl who told me about it said her teacher told her the kids who stay behind often want to go because it's "fun time" where people color and shit.

bad bad bad bad.

 
At 9/01/2005 9:59 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ohmigoodness. I know i shouldn't be surprised, but that is awful. bad bad bad. why can't the non-believers color too????

 
At 9/01/2005 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, jesus and his buddies can be real pricks sometimes.

-s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home