Wednesday, March 01, 2006

First graders get very handsy when I wear patterned stockings. I don't really know how to respond, without being mean or something. "Stop rubbing my legs, kid: it's just not right."?
Sounds a little mean.

I am going to waste time I can't afford to waste by talking to you about the book Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig. I think it might be one of my favorite books, period. If you are not familiar, it is about this donkey named Sylvester, who at the start of the story is a happy little donkey with a nice rock collection and a tidy mother and a pipe-smoking father. They are all very happy.

scan0003

Then Sylvester is outside and he finds this pretty pebble, but it's all rainy and cold

2

and he's thinking, man, I wish it weren't raining.

Then
3a
3
So Sylvester's like, I've got a magic pebble here. Then WHOA there's a LION on the HILL.
4
And he's all flustered, as one would be, so he doesn't think too clearly, and what he does is go, "I wish I were a ROCK" because lions don't eat rocks.
So the lion thinks he's crazy.
5
But alas.
What have you done, Sylvester?

His parents look all over for him.
I like how Steig writes things like this 7a
in his children's book.
The parents also ask the neighborhood "children".
8
I love this touch. 8a
Life goes on amidst tragedy. Jumproping, even, goes on.

Ok, now here is where it gets so amazing.
6a

Steig just SLAMS it on us--so they're kids, so what? THEY HAVE TO LEARN ABOUT DESPAIR SOMETIME. They may, in fact, already be familiar with it. How can a story have any emotional power if strong emotions are not portrayed? IT CAN'T, PUSSY.
Ok, so then follows this beauteous page, that I have even talked about in another blog before I think, but hey, it deserves all the talk I can give it:

7

It is perfect.
But does not stop there.

I read this story in class today. Tomorrow morning the kids will do a kind of activity based on it, which is why I have these things scanned in my computer really. Anyway, yeah, I read this today. I made some children almost cry. I could see it, their little eyes glistening, faces somber. And I'm all, YES. They are hearing the melancholy! Awesome!
So, saddest of all pages, would be this one of the poor father.
They cannot find Sylvester, for months. They, clearly, believe he is dead.
Look at this.
9
"Life had no meaning for them."
Jesus.
Look at his face! And his neglected, despairing pipe!
9a

But then the parents go on a picnic, in spring, AFTER A FALL AND WINTER OF NO SYLVESTER. Here is some of the text on the page when they decide to go on the picnic: " 'Let's cheer up....Let us try to live again and be happy even though Sylvester, our angel, is no longer with us.' "
I mean, god. This book. Ok, so they happen to use Sylvester as their picnic table
10
and find the pebble, and put it on the table because it reminds them of Sylvester.

And Sylvester thinks, I wish I were me again, right as they say, I wish Sylvester were here, and then TADA!
11
And could this look happier?
12
I mean I could cry. The sun! The sun is so beautiful, echoing Sylvester's tear of joy, and they are all so happy. The father is, like, dancing!
And if that were not heartwarming enough for you, after the depths of despair to which Steig brought us, oh my gosh you guys:
13
Yeah, this book is amazing.

1 Comments:

At 3/01/2006 9:55 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

I forgot to say the ending lines, that they put the pebble in a safe, because they don't need it now since THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL THEY COULD EVER WANT.

i can't believe i never heard this book when i was a kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home