Thursday, June 29, 2006

even the backward vocals

I got the album Bitter Tea by The Fiery Furnaces last week. I'd had most of the songs on my computer and thought a few of them sounded amazing, but now that I have the album I adore the whole thing. I have to share one song with you particularly. It is called Benton Harbor Blues.

I will tell you why I like it:
I love the weird, clackety beginning, that also reminds me of one of my other favorite summer songs from 3 years ago;
I love how it just stops;
then starts
stops
then I
oh my.
I love the strong thwacks, and whatever they're thwacking against;
I love the
whatever is happening underneath, groove;
Then it gets insane, which is almost not ok until the happy weird clunky carnival music comes in;
then it gets all doozy and weirder
then quits, goes back to...

I can't do this the whole song, obviously.

Though I can say that I have never been more in love with a woman's voice than with Eleanor's. Yes, even counting PJ Harvey; even counting young Liz Phair; even counting Fiona Apple hitting an emotional low; what about Billie Holliday and Nina Simone and other amazing people I am now slighting I DON'T KNOW OK BUT ELEANOR IS AWESOME.

What I am saying, is that this song is so weird, there's a non-weird short version that you all could like easier, and the only reason maybe I didn't like it easier is because I'm weird? and also this one came first on the album, so discovering the beautiful base melody, that easygoing thing, while driving along the beautiful tree-lined High Street here in Salem, on a sunny day, knowing I'm leaving it soon...that all helped.

What I am saying, take two: I love every weird thing this song does, and every non-weird thing. I savor every part I can hear. And there is so, so much to hear!

This song makes me so happy. I hope you like it, at least a bit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home