Sunday, April 09, 2006

i think i put something else at the beginning of this entry and lost it; i have no idea what it would be.

I never review things in here anymore. Days of Being Wild, that was fine, not as good as 2046 or the other, what was it, In the Mood For Love. In fact, really not. But it was ok. Then, I saw Be Here To Love Me, Friday night, when I was already depressed. Oh, Townes. Townes Van Zandt, as you should by now well know, endlessly fascinates me. He was so bleak and funny and weird and incomprehensible and yet I feel such affinity. But yeah, kind of depressing movie. What else have I seen? I can't think of anything. As far as reading, I did finish that Muriel Spark book, the one with the false hope of interracial romance on the cover. That is the second time Muriel has struck out with me, and I tell you, Muriel, it is the last. YOUR BOOKS ARE BORING. Fuck that you were a spy, and that Evelyn Waugh was all aflutter, in fact those details only raised my hopes, ENSURING that your books would be disappointments! No more, Muriel.

Then my other book was Sleepless Nights by Elizabeth Hardwick. I haven't finished it--it's sitting in my bed right now, funnily enough--it's not horrible but not so great. Not recommended.

But don't think my last library visit was a complete washout, because the Nelson Algren book is pretty good I'm thinking. I've only read a page or two, but twice, because I was all, "whoa! HERE'S good writing! what a relief!" because sometimes I feel I've lost the capacity to be wowed by things, when I am repeatedly non-wowed.
Let me tell you some of it: "Six-foot-one of slack-muscled shambler, he came of a shambling race. That gander-necked clan from which Calhoun and Jackson sprang." Just a tidbit, but beeeeyoooootiful, yeah?

Oh, I know what I was going to blog about. I was going to tell you how for the past week about I had a statcounter, to see who comes to my blog. It was weird! It felt invasive! I was hoping for secret admirers from Russia or something, or to find out that many more people read me than I thought, but that didn't happen. And then I started getting confused about small things, like, wait, who is this in New York who reads me? I thought it was this person but maybe it isn't? And this person never listens to anything I say so it's not him. Maybe it's this person who works there? And so this was like spying, a little, and also it was inconclusive. Highly disatisfying. And Sacramento! I have no idea what is going on in Sacramento.
But I digress. All I am saying, is, don't try statcounters. They will only confuse you and make you feel shifty. So, I have given mine up. Much as I kick Muriel Spark to the curb; some things are not all you hope.

5 Comments:

At 4/10/2006 1:19 PM, Blogger Vivren said...

Camadoodle sometimes reads from work, I think. In NYC. I tried a statcounter once but I couldn't get it to "work." Or maybe it was just that no one visited my blog.

I used your picture as the cover! I think it came out nice. I will have to send you a copy, but you might hate the music...

 
At 4/10/2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

i inconclusively settled on cam, because she's at least commented on my blog, which doesn't happen with anybody else from nyc. the nerve of the rest of them, honestly.

and yay! i would love to get a copy of the cd.

 
At 4/11/2006 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading your blog in NYC right now, and I read that about you wondering who was reading your blog in NYC, and I had a moment like out of Neverending Story, when Bastian sees his own name in the book! It was a little thrill, I gotta say. Or, it was like, that episode of My So-Called Life where Angela thinks Jordan is writing a song about her, but he's really writing a song about his car. Very meta-blog reading. I'm not sure if I'm using meta- in the right way, but it makes me feel very literary and smug so I'm going to stick to it. I didn't know stat counters could tell you WHERE a person was reading from? How does your computer know where my computer is? That kind of freaks me out. All these people whom I'm blog-stalking could actually know where I am? That's no fair.

 
At 4/11/2006 4:10 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

i know, it's weird! and sometimes they even know what website you were on beforehand. oh, and i had some visitors because i linked to, i think it was the david berman podcast, and so i was listed at that site at who linked to the podcast? and so a few people were like, who's that? and then were all, oh nevermind.

but it made me feel weird. the internet shouldn't actually know i am here.

 
At 4/15/2006 5:54 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

muriel spark just died, so now i feel a little bad about this entry.
oh well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home